Thursday, May 21, 2015

Christ Feeds the Multitudes

This week we studied many stories of Christ and his teachings to the Disciples.  But I had the chance to read and review one of my favorite bible stories as a child.  I hope you find what I found out to be interesting.  Side note:  Ether 12:27 is my favorite scripture in the Book of Mormon and I had the opportunity to apply and ponder it relevance as well. 

I hope you enjoy. 

Topic Choices (Choose One)

Choice 1: Matthew 14:14–21; 15:32–38. The Feeding of the Multitudes

  1. The Savior provided two similar miracles. As a summary of what took place, complete the following chart:

Matthew 14:14-21
Matthew 15:32-38
How many people were present?
   5000
4000 men, besides women and children
What did they need?
  To eat

Needed to eat after following the Savior for 3 days without eating.
-
What were they able to offer in an effort to meet that need?
5 loaves 2 fish, themselves to follow Christ.  There need for spiritual nourishment and healing. 
Seven loaves and a few fishes.
What words or phrases describe the Savior’s feeling toward the multitudes in their time of need?
He wanted them to stay close and listen to come “hither”
He did not want to leave them hungry or faint on their journeys home.
What words or phrases describe what the Savior was able to provide for the multitudes?
5 loaves and 2 fishes and brake and gave them to the disciples and they gave them unto the multitude.
7 loaves and a few fish and brake and gave them to the disciples and they gave them unto the multitude.
  1. In each story, the available food was insufficient to feed the multitude, yet with the help of the Lord the insufficiency was overcome. Read Romans 3:23 and explain in writing another way human effort is insufficient in receiving the glory of God. According to Ether 12:27, how does the Lord help us overcome this insufficiency?
Romans 3:23
23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Without the atonement glory can not be ours, we all have sinned and must repent and accept the gospel.  We will always be shot in glory with out the help of God.
Ether 12:27
27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.
If we can find humility in ourselves and ask the Lord our weakness (sin) his grace (atonement) and our faith in Him we will be made strong and new by the promise of repentance and forgivenss.

No comments: