Wednesday, October 14, 2015




2 Corinthians 2:1–11. Forgiveness

2 Corinthians 2:1–11
 But I determined this with myself, that I would not come again to you in heaviness.
 For if I make you sorry, who is he then that maketh me glad, but the same which is made sorry by me?
 And I wrote this same unto you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow from them of whom I ought to rejoice; having confidence in you all, that my joy is the joy of you all.
 For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you.
 But if any have caused grief, he hath not grieved me, but in part: that I may not overcharge you all.
 Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many.
 So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.
 Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm you rlove toward him.
 For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things.
 10 To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ;
 11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.


Matthew 6:14–15
14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
 15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.


 Doctrine and Covenants 64:9–10
Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin.
 10 I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men.







·         What were the people of Corinth commanded to do “if any have caused grief”?
The people were commanded to forgive those that caused them grief, but not only forgive them but give them comfort.   As we read in D&C 64:14-15 we are commanded to forgive everyone, and if we do not then we are the one who’s sin is greater.  We do not get to choose who we forgive, only the Lord can do this.

·         What blessings do we see if we forgive?

We learn in Matthew that the Lord will forgive our sins when we forgive the sins of others.  We will be able to let go of what the other did to us through the comfort of the Holy Ghost.

·         What is the danger in failing to forgive?
  
We can live a great life, but if we cannot humble ourselves and forgive others then we will be found in judgement for our actions. Our sins will be greater than those who hurt or offended us.  Also if we cannot forgive it makes it easier for Satan to make us think that we are in the right and the other is in the wrong. 




No comments: