Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Covenants and Ordinances

I think this weeks topic is going to be one of my favorites as I am so grateful for my Celestial Marriage to my AMAZING husband Marco and the blessings of the union that gave me 4 just as AMAZING children. I also think I have been thinking about this a ton this week with the passing of by 39th birthday. When I look back 15 years ago…I never thought I could be blessed so much.
I read a talk by Elder Bruce C. Hafen: “Covenant Marriage” and this really hit home with me about how it’s more important to have a covenant marriage instead of the world’s idea that marriage is a Contractual Marriage. If we all understood and were joined with a covenant marriage I believe that we would all try a little harder and not as quick to give up and separate or divorce. Here is a little from that talk: “Marriage is by nature a covenant, not just a private contract one may cancel at will. Jesus taught about contractual attitudes when he described the “hireling,” who performs his conditional promise of care only when he receives something in return. When the hireling “seeth the wolf coming,” he “leaveth the sheep, and fleeth … because he … careth not for the sheep.” By contrast, the Savior said, “I am the good shepherd, … and I lay down my life for the sheep.” Many people today marry as hirelings. And when the wolf comes, they flee. This idea is wrong. It curses the earth, turning parents’ hearts away from their children and from each other.” In my discussion board here is what I posted: Covenant Marriage vs. Contractual Marriage I really enjoyed Elder Bruce C. Hafens talk entitled "Covenant Marriage." I know that this should have been very obvious, but he brings up some great points, some I do joke with my husband about frequently. When we are sealed in the temple to our spouse we are making a covenant to be with them in this life and the next, we make sacred covenants between each other and God, and this is more than a legal binding contract. I often joke “You are stuck with me forever and an eternity", but that is the difference in our beliefs, it’s more than keeping or breaking a contract and moving on to look for someone else. Marriage is not easy, but it was also nice to read about the "wolves" that help attack our marriages and attempt to shake our covenant with each other and God. We are not alone in our joys, and in our struggles, everyone is victim to the "wolves" its all about how you deal with them. Do you have a gun to shut them down, or do you have a cap gun? Want to read this talk? You can go to: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1996/10/covenant-marriage?lang=eng October 22, 2014

No comments: