Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Provident Living: Media Influence

The media that we watch and listen to can invite the Spirit or it can be an environment where the Spirit will not be able to dwell with us. The past year as I have served in the YW program, media influence is something that I have noticed and have made a goal to make sure I always have an environment where the Spirit can dwell.
This has been a topic that I have been working on over the last year from being involved with the YW program and Pathways. I want to continue to work on my goals that I have in place already...and I hope that is okay. I look at them as more than goals, because for my family they really should just be a way of life. Here are my goals: 1. Radio listening time in the car: LDS music/Christian music and or church talks (Mormon Channel) 2. Less time using media for entertainment for both my family and myself. Increased effort for formal scripture study as a family. 3. (A new goal) to bear my testimony to my children during the 2 weeks, and help them learn more formally what a testimony is, and help them understand and learn what they believe. I want to do this instead of letting my children fill extra time watching programs on the television. November 8: Listening to only LDS/Church talks in the car is going well, I am actually enjoying the talks and programs on the Mormon Channel. Because I have been so busy with reading for my other classes my media time has basically only been about 2 hours total for one week. I have been doing scripture study with my children, however I need to get better about actually bearing my testimony to them following scripture study. November 12, 2014: My plan is still going well but I think some of it is that I am just too busy to do anything outside of work, family, and school. I am still listening to The Mormon Channel in the car on my way to work and really enjoying it but do miss my talk radio (Glenn Beck). Scripture study is doing good with the children, but also I must admit it is because they are excited about doing it, and they often have to remind me. I love to hear there excitement as we read about Nephi being bound by his brothers, an the Lord helping him loosen the ropes. It was a good lessen to teach them that God does listen and help us with our struggles and needs. I still need to continue improving on sharing my testimony with my children. November 14, 2014: 1) What did you learn throughout the course of this project? I learned that I watch and use media more than I thought I did, I can not seem to remember a time without surfing Facebook on my phone, and watching television to fill my spare time. I have learned that listening to uplifting music (instead of political radio) and reading the scriptures with my children have made me a happier mom and a happier family. There is still craziness, screaming, and times I want to pull my hair out, but I want to be more patient, loving, and especially I want to listen. I have really discovered that I have amazing children, with amazing testimonies. I am blessed. 2) How would you adjust the project in the future? I had been listening to Mormon radio/Sunday Music prior to this assignment, but I think the biggest thing I want to strive to do is bear my testimony of these things to my children. Not only should I be an example to them, but I should tell them why. 3) What are your goals for maintaining provident living habits? I want to continue with managing my media influences, but I think my next goal would be to look at who much media time my children have. I did realize that they have been using computers and television more when I am studying and trying to complete my homework. I need to get them to use the time to do better activities. 4) How can this specific habit bless your life and the lives of your friends and family members? It will build my children’s testimonies, they will have a happier mother, I will have my “bucket” filled with good thoughts and counsel and we will be a much happier family. I think that the whole point of this activity for me was to spend more time with my children and build the faith of our family.

No comments: