Tuesday, December 9, 2014

What’s your Love Language? What’s your spouse’s Love Language?

This was a great lesson!! I got the opportunity to take a quiz to see what my “Love Language” is and Marco did the same. It’s funny after taking this quiz how you notice how you may have been showing your love in the “wrong language”. For instance one of my love languages is physical touch, when Marco’s is acts of service. So all this time I have been doing it my way, not his. This was a great opportunity to have my eyes opened, and find some great ideas to show Marco that I love him. If you want to take the test with your husband go to: http://www.5lovelanguages.com
Here are my posts and my experiences: Love Languages Over the next weeks I am going focus on my husband and showing my love for him using his love language which I believe is Acts of Service and receiving gifts. I know that one of the biggest things that make him feel loved is when I keep the house super clean and when our bedroom bed and clothes are put away. I am going to clean up the house and try and maintain its cleanliness to a higher level for the next 2 weeks. This will be extremely hard as we are currently under construction and 6 people living on one floor of a small home. When is comes to receiving gifts, money is tighter with the holidays around the corner, but I am going to leave him little notes of love and encouragement with a small little treat in his bag or lunch. I am also going to try and surprise him by going to his work to bring him dinner once a week during this period, because he does not get to have dinner with me during the week. November 21, 2014: Wow, I did not really understand how hard this would be and I am struggling a bit. This has really made me understand how much I assume that I make my spouse feel loved. Because our love languages are so different I find doing things for him that I would want and not what he would want. So I need to work on for the upcoming week to again attempt to show him love with his love languages. December 1, 2014: Well this week was a little better with using the Love Languages to show my spouse he is loved. But it was a very difficult week as my husband loves the house to be CLEAN. We have 4 children under age 5 and we both work full time, and what I have discovered is that I really dont like spending my spare time cleaning. This has been a work in progress, but I know the benefits outweight my dislike for cleaning or spending money on gifts. December 5, 2014 1) What did you learn throughout the course of this project? I really learned that I am trying to love my spouse in my own love language, and that it is not easy to to “show love” in their language. I found that it was easy slip back into using my personal love language and forgetting about his language. It helped me to understand some of the frustrations between us and why we might quarrel or not feel loved. That we really did not know all the ways each other felt loved. 2) How would you adjust the project in the future? I think that I might take the test with my spouse every so often to see if our love languages change. What I noticed that my love language is not the same as when I in my 20’s. It would be interesting to see how this would turn out. Also I would like to talk take the time to talk with my spouse about how they felt with my efforts with trying to communicate my love in their love languages. 3) What are your goals for maintaining provident living habits? Well my goal would be to continue to do this for the rest of my life. My relationship with my spouse is the most important and central to our family relationships. If he feels loved then my children will feel loved, and will see our examples, and learn from our successes and mistakes. 4) How can this specific habit bless your life and the lives of your friends and family members? I know that this will bless our family with a happier spouse, thus a happier home. You can never have too much love, and with love it builds trust and faith in one another. This will help create a healthy relationship between myself and my spouse, and hopefully be an example to my children of how a good relationship is based on service not being served.

No comments: